60 ml (1/4 cup) Cataphard Orchards & Son inc. Apple syrup
5-6 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
To taste salt and pepper
A bit olive oil for basting
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
2. Mix together butter, Apple syrup, thyme, salt and pepper.
3. Carefully separate the skin of the turkey from the flesh (carefully slide your fingers under the skin on the breasts and the thighs so as not to tear it).
4. With your hands, spread the flavoured butter mixture between the skin and flesh.
5. In a roasting tin or pan, spread out sliced onion. Place turkey on top of the onion slices. Brush with oil and season.
6. Place into oven and roast for 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 180°C (350°F) and continue roasting according to the weight of the bird (baste during cooking with juice or glaze with Apple syrup).
7. 30 minutes before completion, place apple slices around turkey.
8. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
9. On a platter, arrange apple slices. Transfer turkey to platter and drizzle with cooking juices (or flambé with a bit of Calvados…).
10. Serve with purées, steamed vegetables, cooking juice as gravy…
Flavoured butter can be made with just about anything : basil and sundried tomatoes, garlic-ginger, anise-cardamom…in addition to keeping the meat moist, it gives a subtle and creamy taste that we love…whoever said that turkey breast had to be dry? Not us!